Monday, November 3, 2008

Abstract for Conference Paper


“To Us!” An Investigation of the Alcoholic-Induced Liver Disease: Alcoholic Cirrhosis

Background:
The excessive consumption of alcohol is the third leading cause of mortality in the United States. 75,000 Americans die unnecessarily each year because of alcohol abuse, with 30% of alcoholics developing alcoholic cirrhosis. Alcohol cirrhosis is the result of chronic liver disease that causes scarring of the liver and liver dysfunction due to the consumption of alcohol in excess and over a long period of time.

Purpose:
My purpose is to investigate how alcohol consumption leads to cirrhosis, the internal symptoms and effects of this disease, as well as the treatments that are used to manage complications and aim at preventing further liver damage.

Method:
I will research many medical studies that have focused on the affects and causes of liver cirrhosis, and to see which age, gender and cultural groups it is most prevalent in, if there is such a pattern, and to investigate how such a disease can lead to fatality.

Anticipated Results:
Through carrying out my method I hope to find that alcoholic cirrhosis can be reversed or at least have the affects subsided by treatments and preventable measures, so as not to reach the stage of liver failure and death. I would predict that such a disease is most prevalent in adult males, past the age of forty, since alcoholic cirrhosis is a disease that arises from longevity and frequent consumption of alcohol.

2 comments:

kaitlyn.e said...

Interesting topic. I like your title. I hope you find the results are looking for (that the effects can be reversed or subside). Your writing is concise and informative. Good job!

Cynthia Hallen said...

I wish that my brother could benefit from studies such as this. His liver is still healthy, but I do not know how much longer his body can hold up. I look forward to the time when alcohol consumption becomes unpopular, as is has happened with smoking.