Friday, November 7, 2008

Proposal: This is Why I Write (Revised)

“Poetry is language condensed.” It’s photography of the heart, for it captures a moment of beauty and sifts the meaning from it. There is, perhaps, a common misconception that literary devices are for their own sakes; that they’re frosting on the cake, paint on the walls, ribbons in poetry’s hair. Not so. Neither are devices vain displays. They are the magnifying glass essential for shaping life’s diamonds. They are the mahogany with which we construct poetry.
I write because I love the feeling I get from a finished product. If I can write something beautiful, perhaps there’s a part of me that’s beautiful too. If I can write something worthwhile, perhaps I have value. If, miraculously, I can write something divine, perhaps, someday, I can find my divinity.
Don’t mistake me, writing is difficult. Like forcing myself to look in the mirror when I first wake up, it’s a painful experience. Through language, I confront me. And far too often, I despise what I see. Why then, do I continue to write? I write because when I do not, part of me dies. I am the rosebush and poetry is my flower. Without it, my thorny experiences aren’t worthwhile.
And then there are the moments, the springtimes, when I am in full bloom. At these instants I speak with the sun. He gives me life and I teach him of love: through poetry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings about writing and poetry.
The images were well presented, but the best part you wrote was the part that said: "I am the rosebush and poetry is my flower". It hit my senses profoundly, I kept thinking about it. You found your personal legend, now you can see the end of the road, you just have to head in that direction. You'll do great.

kaitlyn.e said...

This is poetry, and the fact that you chose to write your proposal this way makes your proposal that much stronger. Great job!

Cynthia Hallen said...

Full credit on for abstract. I have enjoyed our consultations and the fruits of your work.

girl with freckles said...

Sorry to fixate on something so early on, but I love the imagery of poetry being photography of the heart - capturing beauty and sifting the meaning from it. I love photography for the challenge of communicating the thing that a trained photographer's eye sees to those who don't spend days framing their existence in a mental viewfinder. And so it is with poetry. Beautiful.

Reina Clark said...

You are so well worded and gifted as a poet. Your imagery really instills a picture in ones mind. Even your abstract is pure art.