Monday, November 3, 2008

Revised: Project - Mayhew submission

Title/Theme: The theme of my work(s) will be religious, specifically my mission. My mission has had a profound impact on my life and has given and continues to give me inspiration. I haven’t yet firmly decided on a title, but it will probably have something to do with my mission and/or the experiences I had.

Background/Description: I’ll be writing a series of poems. Some were written on my mission, some since I’ve been home and others are still floating around in my brain, waiting to be clothed in words. They will portray some of my experiences, feelings and some of the people I knew.

Focus/Scope: The focus, hopefully, will be the spiritual significance found in the profound spiritual moments that only happen on a mission. I think that most of the collection will recount experiences, thoughts or people that changed/impacted me in some way.

Genre/Style: I’ll be experimenting/playing with several different types of poetry. I hope to use several different styles of poetry that I haven’t used very much before.

Justification/ Delimitations: Each poem will in some way have to do with my mission. I will probably submit several smaller poems, unless of course, in the process of writing the smaller ones I’m blessed with some great epiphany birthing a phenomenal longer poem that’s like nothing else I’ve ever written before. If that should happen, I’ll submit it.

3 comments:

kaitlyn.e said...

Great idea Dan! It's nice that you have poetry from your mission to share, supplemented by postmission poetry. I'd like to hear more specifics about your plans. Good luck!

Cynthia Hallen said...

Could you take the format and style of the Divine Comedy and adapt it to this purpose: 1) Pre-Mission Preparatio, 2) Full-time Mission Prosetelito, 3) Post-Mission Progressio. Something like that?

Pmoney said...

Wonderful idea, Dan. I'd love to see how universal the ideas and feelings are that you express in your poems. I can imagine the power of poetry to be able to rekindle and remind the spirit of missionary service.