Sunday, October 26, 2008

Book review

(“The Poems of Emily Dickinson”----1999 edition, by R.W. Franklin. The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press. Cambridge, MA)

Life is Life, and death but death!

Bliss is but bliss, and breath but breath!

And if, indeed, I fail,

At least to know the worst is sweet.

Defeat means nothing but defeat,

No drearier can prevail!

Emily Dickinson seemed to have an outlook on life that a lot of us at this time forget about. We worry about every little thing, and we put too much weight into so small things. We need to remember that “Defeat means nothing but defeat,” This is one of my favorite lines that Emily has written. I read this and realized that I need to not worry so much.

A lot of her poems have this uplifting feeling to them. She really had a feel for the way life was supposed to be lived. She saw things for what they were and wrote about them they way she felt and wanted not the way the world told her to.

Another thing about Dickinson that really catches my eye and makes me think is her interest in a higher being, in God. She grasps the concept so well.

Prayer is the little implement

Through which men reach

Where presence is denied them

They fling their speech

By means of it in God’s ear;

If then He hear,

This sums the apparatus

Comprised in prayer.

I find this poem so interesting. Often we are told that praying is how we communicate with God. We send our hopes, concerns, dreams, and questions, up to heaven. To a place where, at this moment is not within our reach. Though through our prayers we are in a way reaching for that place, but because we cannot reach, we “fling” our words to God’s ear. Dickenson says that sums up a prayer. We send our words to him hoping he will hear us.

Along with Dickenson knowing of a God, she knew there was a Son as well. She knew that he died to show his love for us, and that is love will never die.

That I did always love,

I bring thee proof:

That til I loved

I did not love enough.

That shall I love always,

I offer thee

That love is life,

And life hath immortality.

This, dost thou doubt, sweet?

Then have I

Nothing to show

But Calvary.

“That love is life, and life hath immortality.” Christ showed his love for us throughout his life, and even gave it for our sakes. The gift of his life was his love. And being immortal means you can never die. Dickenson was saying that the love that that Son has for us will never die. No matter what we do, or how much we doubt, we will always have His love.

In reading Emily Dickenson’s poems you not only find excellent writing, but I believe you can find inspiration as well. She captures her feelings so well. I have found many of her poems that seem to come alive and express how I feel at times.

I really feel as though Emily Dickenson was an inspired writer. As a writer this gives me ideas and hopes for my own creations. She wrote for herself, yet at the same time she is not the only person to ever feel that way, other can read her word and relate. It is for that reason that she has such amazing works and masterpieces.

I find that her writing flows very well and it makes you think at times.

Death is a dialogue between

The spirit and the dust.

“Dissolve,” says Death. The Spirit, “Sir

I have another trust.”

Death doubt it, argues from the ground.

The Spirit turns away,

Just laying of the evidence,

An overcoat of clay.

I highly recommend reading Dickenson. She has such a style. Not only do you get to read excellent writing, but you get to read words that inspire, and isn’t that what good writing is? Something that will inspire us.

It was too late for man,

But early yet for God;

Creation impotent to help,

But prayer remained our side.

How excellent the heaven,

When earth cannot be had;

How hospitable, then, the face

Of our old neighbor, God!

3 comments:

C Tam said...

This review includes well-chosen excerpts of Emily Dickinson's poetry. These excerpts provide a cute "sneak preview" which makes me want to read more of her work. I noticed one area of the review that could have given me a more clear image of what to expect in the book: the description and summary section could benefit from the customary explanation of format (i.e. number of pages, number of chapters if there are any, sections, a preface, forward, etc.).

Additional detail could be beneficial in the recommendation section as well, as the review recommends with a general scope. Narrow the recommendation perhaps--exactly who would benefit most from reading this book? I found myself unsure of the "who, what, when, where, how..." aspects of the recommendation. The "why" part came through more clearly however, through stating that Dickinson's words hold power to inspire and uplift. This point is evident in your own experience, and I like the way you shared personal examples of lessons learned from the reading.

Ummm...Sorry this comment got lengthy. Hope it is helpful anyway.

kaitlyn.e said...

Good choice! You picked wonderful poems and described them beautifully as well--from both a writer's and a reader's perspective.

I think your evaluation of the quest concept could be developed a little more and your recommendation could be more specific. Other than that, I think you did a great job.

Cynthia Hallen said...

I like the insights and interpretations you gave for various lines and poems. You seem to have a knack for understanding the poet's ideas. As a review, could you feature more structure, purpose, and background for your comments? It flows well, but sometimes it meanders.