Thursday, October 16, 2008

Discipleship - Our Calling

Maxwell, Neal A. The Promise of Discipleship. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 2001. 145 pg. (content, acknowledgments, preamble, 10 chapters, notes, sources, and index.)

The Promise of Discipleship is an informative and inspiring religious novel about our quest and role as a disciple of Christ. Throughout this book, Elder Maxwell goes through the steps of becoming a true disciple and the blessings that we can receive. Also, he gives us wise and sound counsel on how to become a better disciple. Focusing on the trials that will strengthen us, the need for divine determination, the mercy and justice of God, willingness to accept the Lord’s timing, and the gift of the Holy Ghost we are taught about our importance and need to be disciples. Elder Maxwell brilliantly synthesizes scripture and quotes from authorities throughout his writing, and each chapter leads into the next topic in a very smooth and understandable way bringing consistency and coherence to the book.

My grandfather gave me this book this past summer, and my husband and I were hoping for an opportunity to read it. The knowledge that we are disciples of Christ really attracted me to this book, but I’ve always wanted to know more about the role that I play, as a disciple, in the Lord’s grand plan. Well, Elder Maxwell’s wise words truly helped me understand more about my calling to help the Lord. As a disciple I have a calling and duty to share the gospel with others, but he stresses the need of meekness. We are always “on stage” as disciples; “moving along the straight and narrow path is scarcely a solitary or unobserved thing.” He advises that we use meekness to endure the public calling of discipleship. This meekness that he stresses does not come all at once, he stated, “the process of discipleship is carried out in the process of time.” The way we use our time is one of the greatest lessons that I took away from this book. Elder Maxwell understands that some of our time must be devoted to the betterment of society, he stated:

Nevertheless, such cares and chores can come to dominate life. We can easily find ourselves anxiously engaged in doing these lesser things, so that too little of ourselves and of our time are left over for the things of God. Our management of time tells us so much about the management of ourselves.

As I have been focusing on my personal quest this semester, I realized that I want to grow in knowledge, faith, truth, and I want to improve my relationship with Christ. After reading this book, I recognized that Elder Maxwell has enabled me to progress in all of these areas of my quest. My knowledge and understanding of the gospel has increased, and my faith in and relationship with Christ have greatly improved. I have been personally inspired to be a better disciple of Christ. I learned that even though I go to Brigham Young University, I can still share the gospel with others. As I always stand as a witness of Christ, I hope that my every action and word can shine as an example to others. Also, I’m so grateful for the experiences that the Lord has blessed me with because I know they have helped shape me into the person I am. Honestly, I received a greater respect and understanding of my calling, and I have an increased desire to do all I can to move the work of the Lord forward.

Elder Maxwell’s diction is masterful. The way he phrases points, uses alliteration, a very large vocabulary, and a deep and cumulative knowledge of the gospel makes this book a colorful, entertaining, and touching account of a gospel subject. One of the tools that Elder Maxwell uses successfully is comparing our lives to the lives of past scriptural figures or prophets. In a very personal way, he talks about his love and admiration of Joseph Smith and the amazing things he accomplished while enduring trials like Job. We, like Joseph, have been given trials and experiences that will be for our good. Elder Maxwell said, “Since we do not remember ordering them from life’s menu, so many defining moments are actually compliments of the chef!”

“Obviously, a determining and defining moment lies ahead for all mortals. Yet that defining moment turns on our choices today.” Every mature member of the church should choose to read this book today. If you prayerfully search its content for revelation and inspiration from the Holy Ghost, you will be blessed with a new understanding of discipleship. Study the pages carefully, truly seeking for guidance and specific phrases that touch you personally. That’s one of the many amazing aspects of the gospel: every individual will take away a different personal message if they are spiritually prepared. I am so grateful for the experiences that I had with this quest book. It has truly inspired me to be a better disciple of Christ.

3 comments:

Cynthia Hallen said...

Received on time! Comments coming soon. I am pleased that you chose to read Elder Maxwell's quest.

kissti17 said...

Ashley, I am very intrigued by Elder Maxwell's book that you chose for your quest topic. Your review has given me a strong desire to read his book for myself as well. Truly, what could be more important than becoming a truer disciple of Jesus Christ?

Elder Maxwell's diction is indeed masterful. Reading such a great work of art has got to be inherently instrumental in helping each of us become better writers. Isn't it so nice that we've had this assignment so we could finally get around to reading one of those books we've been wanting to for a while? :)Thank you for sharing!

kaitlyn.e said...

Great job Ashley. How interesting, the idea that “moving along the straight and narrow path is scarcely a solitary or unobserved thing," and how pertinent to the quest concept! I'm glad you chose this book. You did a great job of describing and evaluating it.