Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Little Jace Zachary (revised)


Driving home to visit my little nephew, for the first time, seemed like a moment that would never happen. The longer my friends and I drove, the farther my destination seemed. The road stretched longer and longer and I become more and more anxious. The six hour trip had turned into a seven and a half hour trip. If only we hadn’t made so many unnecessary stops. After the six hour mark, I became a little frustrated, but was careful not to reveal it. Finally, my friends and I arrived at my house in New Mexico, The Land of Enchantment.

It was dark and a little chilly outside. The night sky was covered with clouds, but the stars were still shining brightly. I raced up the stairs mumbling, “I’ll be right back,” as left my friends behind sitting in the car. The pathway up the stairs to the house wasn’t lit and I could not see, but I was careful not to fall. I eagerly rang the door bell several times, consecutively. Ring, ring, ring. It must have been annoying to those inside. Peeking through the door window, I saw my parents, with big smiles on their faces. They opened the door and without hesitation, I asked “Where is he?”

“He’s sleeping,” my mother responded. Soon after, from out of the dark hallway came my sister holding someone very small and precious. She gently handed him to me and in the second I made contact with him, all sorts of emotions ran through me, including joy, love, gratitude. Everyone standing around me, my sister, my parents, and my friends (who, by then, had found their way into the house) all became a blur and soon after disappeared.

His tiny body was bundled in a soft blanket that had little yellow ducks on it. His warm body fit perfectly in my arms as he lay there. I leaned in to kiss him and inhaled his yummy baby scent. The sweet smell brought a smile to my face. I gently pressed my lips to his soft check. He moved his head a little, but quickly returned to his peaceful slumber. Then I brought his little head, full of satin soft, light brown hair to mine and swayed him back and forth in my arms whispering, “I love you.”

How is it possible for a person love someone so deeply after being just introduced? It is hard to understand, but it happens quite often. All was peaceful in those few minutes and life had more of a perspective and greater meaning that particular day. It was an unforgettable moment, the time that I met my dear, little Jace.

1 comment:

Cynthia Hallen said...

Excellent revision. Your words shine with love for this little one.