Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Journey of a Life Time - - Revised Memory

I stood there, paralyzed with anticipation; my heart pounded as if it was going to explode from within me. The emcee was teasingly taking what felt like hours to announce the winners. “The first runner-up is……Stephanie Gaufin,” he proclaimed. Standing in awe, I realized that I had a chance to be Utah’s Jr. Miss, but I suspected that another contestant may have had more points than me. After the longest thirty seconds of my life, the audience went silent, and I could hear the hammering of my own heart. Very authoritatively, he announced, “And now, our 2005 Utah’s Jr. Miss is……. # 26, Ashley Boulter!” For a brief second, I didn’t hear what he said, and then I was being swarmed by my fellow contestants. The audience, jumped to their feet, and applauded my victory. Not only was that night a wonderful memory which I will never forget, it was the beginning to the most amazing journey of my life.

* * * * *

The intense heat and humidity hit me like a brick wall. Growing up in the parched deserts of Utah, I was shocked when I stepped outside into what felt like a moist sauna. Feeling very insecure, I hesitantly staggered into a room with forty-nine of the most amazing, talented, beautiful, smart, and fit girls that I have ever met. “Hi, I’m Elena Bird, Alaska.” “Howdy, my name is Megan Murray, Wyoming.” I continued to be herded through the crowds of girls, bombarded by bright colors and brilliant smiles gleaming at me from every direction; I was overwhelmed by all that was happening to me.

“Hello girls, and welcome to Mobile, Alabama; the home of America’s Jr. Miss.” That’s when it hit me. I was actually competing in a national pageant; the heels, make-up, hair, and cameras. After an intimidating opening ceremony, which passed through my head like a surreal dream, I was introduced to the family whom I would live with for the following two weeks, the length of the competition. I was going to share some of the most amazing experiences of my life with Miss Suzanne, her husband, and little Olivia Ashurst.

* * * * *

The blaring alarm proclaimed 7:00 a.m.; it was time to start another day in my surreal, princess-like, “Jr. Miss” life. At the foot of my bed, little Olivia’s excited eyes anxiously waited for me to get out of bed so we could go eat together. Olivia and I became like sisters as soon as we met. She and I raced down the stairs into the welcoming comfort and smells of my new family’s home. Discussing the news, people, boys, and the gospel, I felt right at home with the Ashurst family. They always treated me like their daughter, and showed me the charity and love that I needed to carry me through the competition.

After I gathered all of the supplies that I needed for the long day ahead, we traveled to the community church where we rehearsed eight hours a day, six days a week, for two weeks. “Girls, you have all worked so hard, and tomorrow night, you finally get to perform. I’m so proud of you, and I’m honored that I had the opportunity to work with you,” our choreographer expressed. He was right. All of the contestants and I had spent hundreds of hours in that gym learning dance routines, fitness steps, poise positions, and all the blocking we’d need for the next three nights of competition.

Excitedly, I flew down the stairs, and was suddenly blinded by the brilliant lights on the stage. All fifty of us stood, shaking from nerves and excitement, waiting for the curtain to be drawn. Exhilaration flooded my body as I heard the announcer welcome the huge audience to the National Jr. Miss competition. The time had finally come; I was going to be rewarded for all of my personal preparation. Standing back stage, I took a deep breath trying to ease my nerves. “Let’s welcome Utah’s Jr. Miss, Ashley Boulter,” the announcer exclaimed. The blaring lights seemed to blind me as I confidently glided on the stage. I was ready. I had perfected my violin solo through countless hours of practicing. My bow seemed to dance across the strings perfectly, and my fingers moved effortlessly to create an amazing performance. With a final flourish of my bow, I heard the audience go wild. I had just given the performance of my life.

Feeling relieved and excited I raced up the steep steps to get ready for the poise portion of the competition. Throwing on my hot pink gown, all the girls looked at me questioningly. “You’re wearing a dress with sleeves?” one of the girls scoffed in disbelief. “Do you honestly think that the judges would ever pick you in that dress?” another one questioned. Feeling a little sheepish and out of place, I was able to stand my ground, proclaiming that modesty is a standard that I cherish deeply and I would never lower my standards to meet the stereotype of what the judges wanted. With more confidence I soared across the stage, my dress elegantly swishing side to side as I gracefully completed the poise competition.

Olivia ran up to me after the performance that night and gave me a huge hug. Miss Suzanne’s eyes shone with pride as she lovingly congratulated me. Later, the Ashursts and I shared a wonderful night of joy, excitement, and anticipation. When it was time for bed, Olivia asked me to read her a story and tuck her in. I was touched, I finally felt like I had the sister I always wanted. Feeling as if I was back at home with my real family, I had truly grown to love the Ashurst family.

* * * * *

Tossing and turning, I felt as if the sun would never show its face the next morning. Finally, Miss Suzanne gently woke me up on the final day of the competition. The whole house was filled with excitement as we all awaited the results of the final night. Leaving the house that Saturday morning, I realized how much I appreciated all the support and love I felt from the Ashurst family.

The day seemed to drag on, until all fifty contestants were even too anxious to eat. “Girls, ten minutes until we start,” the producer yelled from the dressing room. Suddenly, girls were screaming and experiencing shortness of breath. Overwhelming excitement was emitted from the frantic contestants. With final hair and make-up touch-ups complete, I ran down the steps to the stage. Tonight is going to be a night I will never forget.

“Alright ladies and gentleman, it is time to announce the top fifteen contestants. Keep in mind that they will be read in no particular order…… Oregon’s Jr. Miss, Kara Girod. North Carolina’s Jr. Miss, Hope Lu.” He continued to read names, until my heart felt like it was going to burst from my chest. Then he said it: “Utah’s Jr. Miss, Ashley Boulter.” I couldn’t believe it; I was in shock. Standing at the front of the stage, I didn’t hear any of the other names which were called, as I tried to soak in the feelings of exhilaration and excitement which I was experiencing.

After the fifteen remaining contestants competed in the Fitness competition, the announcer named the top ten finalists. He started calling out their names, one by one, and I continued to wait in horrible anticipation. I waited and waited; and then nothing. My dreams were shattered. I didn’t even make the top ten. Intense disappointment and degradation tore through my whole body. I had worked so hard for all of my life preparing for a competition like this, and I was walking away with nothing.

I lumbered out of the theater after the final night of the performance. I felt like I had wasted two full weeks of my life coming to Mobile, Alabama. Just then, my spirits were lifted up by the voices of my wonderful host family. With tears in their eyes, they consoled and comforted me. Then, I heard little Olivia say something to her cousin that would change my outlook forever. She declared, “Do you want to go and meet the girl my parents and the Lord want me to be like?” She then brought her cousin to meet me. I was humbled and touched when I heard that Olivia, a ten-year-old whom I had grown to love, wanted to emulate ME!

Walking away from America’s Jr. Miss Pageant, I didn’t have any additional scholarship money. I didn’t win any awards, or receive any worldly acclaim. However, I had something that was far more valuable to me than any worldly reward; I had made a difference in the lives of one family. Finally, I realized why I was chosen to make the journey to Mobile, Alabama.

2 comments:

kaitlyn.e said...

I think you really improved with this revision. The ending is even better than it was (and it was already pretty darn good) because you've given us that extra information about your relationship with the family. It's longer, but it held my attention the whole time. Great job.

Cynthia Hallen said...

This revision brought tears to my eyes. When Olivia said that her parents wanted her to be like you -- that was the Crown, wasn't it.

Thanks for sharing a once in someone else's lifetime experience with us.