Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Campus (revised observation)


I was tired and it was late, well at least too late to just be getting done with what seemed like a very long day of school. My steps were slow and not decided. The pavement at my feet my only marker of where I was headed. A tiny breeze blew and there was hardly a cloud in the sky as the sun made the evening color dance across it. The backpack rubbing against my spine was a constant reminder of the many papers and books that seemed to chain me to a non-social existence.

I was so involved with my cares that I barely noticed the music starting to play. It sounded distant, but the song was easily recognizable. My pace slowed as I came upon some other lingering students. They were motionless. All of them statues, facing north towards something that I could not see. They reverently had their hands placed on their hearts. I followed their lead, still quite confused as to what we were staring at. As I stood there I watched the students’ faces that were around me. A lot of them looked like they were in a state of deep pondering.

As soon as the sweet melody died down I decide that I must find out what we were all staring at. I rounded the corner of the closet building to find the flag, gently playing with the breeze. It hit me right then and there. The students showed so much respect for our flag and anthem. They stopped and listened. It was almost as if someone at pressed to pause button, But even more so, it impressed me that the students, paused and showed absolute respect.

I was so used to the hustle that happened everyday, that this moment was a welcome break from the norm. We run around on auto-pilot so often that we forget to live. As students it is like we only have two settings; sleep and study. We are alive, yet to we live. We take everyday of this existence for granted. I realized this as I stared at the flag and suddenly thought back on my life living in this beautiful country with its freedoms and opportunities like the that of an education. I made a mental goal right then to try to LIVE everyday.

1 comment:

Cynthia Hallen said...

Very thoughtful piece. Full credit earned.