Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Final: My Quests

During this semester I've learned a great deal and my quest has helped motivate me along the path of that learning.

My spiritual quest:
One of my goals in my spiritual quest was so give my spirit and the convictions of my soul a voice. I've always wanted to help give a voice to the voiceless, to make known the story of those who couldn't make their stories known. I feel that before we can give a voice to others we have to find our own and help our hearts speak out just as well as our mind already can. Through my writing this semester I've started to find ways to express my experiences, feelings and beliefs.

My intellectual quest:
Another of my goals was to strengthen my desire to learn. I believe I have begun to accomplish this as well. I've wanted to learn for learning's sake, not just for a grade or for a test. One of the greatest helps to me this semester was writing the David O. McKay essay. I had to learn so much to write it and make it sound good (at least to myself). I had to learn about myself and about each of the things I wrote about. I did research to broaden my mind and enrich the topic. I didn't even use all of the things that I learned in the essay, but they did help to make it better. Learning has continued to strengthen my mind.

I've also wanted to further develop my abilities as a creative writer and increase my capacity to play with language and use it as a tool of expression. Through practice I feel I've also been successful in this goal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The art of writing is the perfect vehicle to express your inner voice. The more you write the more chances you have of being heard. Your written words will echo your thoughts and you will be heard in places you never thought of visiting and for people you will never know. It all starts with your writing.

Sean Kerman said...

Dan,
I liked your quest presentation. It sounds like your experience this semester was similar to mine. It's good do see that I'm not walking the path alone!
I really liked how you talked about
learning "for learning's sake," rather then just grades. It's made my life a lot more fun as I've tried to do that.
I also liked how you said that, "before we can give a voice to others we have to find our own and help our hearts speak out just as well as our mind already can." I guess sometimes it's best for us guys to use our hearts instead of our heads sometimes eh? =)
Good luck to you in the future, it's been great having you in the class.

-Sean Kerman