Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Intellectual Quest Blog


This semester, I read Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog. Initially, this is what sparked my intellectual quest. The book is mostly about the life for Mary Crow Dog, but it also mentions the American Indian Movement (AIM). AIM is a Native American activist organization who stood up for the rights of Native Americans around the country, because at the time the Native American’s rights were being ignored. As a result of their efforts, AIM created many opportunities for Native Americans. In fact, I believe that, if it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t be where I am today.
Reading this book I could not help but become angry at what happened to Native Americans, especially while reading about the discrimination and injustice that they faced. Right away, I felt a need to contribute something to Native Americans, just as the AIM did. However, I felt that there was nothing I could do.
My mother had read this book also; therefore I expressed my frustration of wanting to help but also feeling that there is nothing for me to do. She was the person who pointed out that another purpose of the AIM movement was to educate those Native Americans of their rights that they themselves were not aware of. It was then that I realized that I may not be able to help other native Americans like the AIM did, but I can help by getting an education and then going back to my reservation to spread that knowledge to my people. Thus, this is what is at the heart of my intellectual quest; learning so that I may help others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brittney,
Life is not fair, it was not fair in the past and it will not be in the future. But, even though we cannot change the past, we can change the future, and that is what matters!
I am glad that you have realized that you have the opportunity that others in your reservation will never have. Take advantage of that and act according to your heart.

Sean Kerman said...

Brittney,
I like how you talk about your Native American Heritage. My family has always been interested in Native American culture, as one of my grandfathers closest friends was a Native American.
I wish you well on you quest o spread knowledge and wisdom to your people.

-Sean Kerman