Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Spiritual & Intellectual Quest


As a goddess in embryo, it is my spiritual quest to find favor in the sight of my Father. Through a life of discipleship, virtue, and holiness, I am preparing to enter the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom of God.

My quest is like a tiny golden seed budding almost unnoticed. Though nurtured meekly in the shadows of this world’s lime light, its branches will one day reach the heavens, basking in the true light of God’s glory.

In my spiritual quest there are lives I seek to emulate. Like Rachel, who was “beautiful and well favored (Genesis 39:17),” and Mary, “most beautiful and fair above all . . .” I want to find beauty and favor in God’s eyes. The temptations of this world are my ever present, but only in righteousness is true happiness found ( Alma 41:10), and only in virtue is worth far above jewels ( Proverbs 31:10).

My intellectual quest is to know the mind and will of God. Christ beacons, “be perfect,” even as He and the Father (3 Nephi 12:48). My quest is to be obedient to His will, for in so doing I will have obtained this perfection, and will surely hear Him say “Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father” (Enos 1:27).

In an effort to find God, to know God, I desire to access the conduit of communication separating conscious reality from my supernal higher intelligence. I will seek Him through prayer, as it is my ever present lifeline with deity, and meditation, as it is “one of the most secret, most sacred doors through which we pass into the presence of the Lord” Clare Middlemiss, Man May Know for Himself, comp. [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1969], 22-23).”

My intellectual quest is an aura, transparent, yet florid. My quest is an ambiance of light and knowledge, manifest by the energy and power of God. My quest encompasses all, the galaxy itself being merely a particle. It is that which cannot be created, even intelligence, which was from the beginning.

My life I’ve spent searching, wondering, what gift has God given me? I think I am finally starting to understand.

By inspiration, I travel my intellectual and spiritual quest as a writer (Moses 6:5). This is how I share with the world. I want to write “according to that which will be dictated by [God’s]
Spirit . . . (Doctrine & Covenants 104:81).” My writing is a way to give voice for people who cannot speak, like my mother. She has lived a quiet life, never graduating with a prestigious degree, or traveling to far off places. She loves to write, yet has never been published. She loves to paint, but without a name. My mother dedicated her life to raising ten children up unto The Lord. She lives in our shadows, often questioning her own worth and what she will leave behind, but when I write, her sacrifices are no longer unknown. When I write I paint the picture of all she has done, and I set her free, and she cries.

In my quest, I must contribute to the quest of God’s church. I am here at this great university to learn to speak and write that I might more proficiently proclaim the gospel in Chinese. I will continue to redeem the dead through vicarious service in the House of God. I will write for my ancestors; I will tell the stories of all those who long to speak from the dust’s cumbering silence. I will perfect the saints through my righteous example, through the things God shows me, and the things I share.

This semester has helped me to discover some of my innate spiritual gifts. I am grateful for the opportunity to record my quest, for a goal without being written down is just a fleeting dream. I’m finding that to know who I am, and the purpose of my mortal sojourn, makes all the difference in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First of all, you write very well, the ideas flows easily and steadily revealing your inner voice, the "true you".
Your spiritual perspective enhance even more your work and accomplishments.
Thanks for sharing your words.