Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Large And The Small Plates (Final Blog)



As Nephi, we all should have our own large and small plates to record about our intellectual and spiritual quests.

Intellectual Waymarks:

My intellectual quest is to master the art of writing using the English language. It has been my intellectual quest since I understood the value of the power of words and it will be until I have accomplished that goal. I understand that it may take my whole life since learning a language is an endless work, but how useful is our life if we don’t do what we enjoy to do. And I love to write in English.

I wrote this in my commonplace book: “ ‘The mastering of writing shouldn’t be limited to academic writing.’ I think that this is right. The mastering of writing should include all genres of writing. The accomplished writer should be able to use different genres”.

I understand that the goal of being an accomplished writer involves a lot of reading and I like to read, therefore, I guess this goal is feasible in my lifetime. Now, it can be understood why I took writing classes in the past, why I took a writing class this semester and why I will continue to take other writing classes while in college.

Spiritual Waymarks (1 Nephi 6:5)

I wrote about Aspen Grove and the Eternal Cycle of Water in my commonplace book. The cycle of water resembles the eternal cycle of life. We are part of a greater work. We are given time and freedom and a place in the Plan of Salvation.

My spiritual quest is to become the hands of God to bless others. I strongly believe that God has put us on this earth to be his hands to bless his children. Maybe this explains why in the exercise “This Is Why We Give” I came up with at least seventeen reasons to give. I also believe that the more education we get, the more empowered we will be to better serve others.

The conclusion about these waymarks is the reaffirmation that I am heading in the right direction in my intellectual and spiritual quests to unfold my mind and spiritual perspectives.

1 comment:

Cynthia Hallen said...

Your calligraphy seems to capture your quest to become a Renaissance man. Thank you for the thoughtful words you have given us all semester. And for the secret to the mind-reading talent.