Monday, September 22, 2008

The Constant Journey (Revised) Cindy Hurst Reflection




Where does one find spiritual well-being?

I thought it was found in beauty of the mountains. God’s image is easily remembered when you are surrounded by only what his hands have made. But I suppose I mustn’t forget that I owe much of my peace I felt in the mountains this summer to my week in lifeguard training only the week before where I found myself in structured solitude. I had the vigor and desire to become so much more than I was. Each day I spent my time off studying my scriptures and reading How to Win Friends and Influence People. I wanted so badly to become like the people that I had found myself surrounded by, only the week before that, at Paul’s Cabin. They emulated Christ so closely, and they had welcomed me. And I wanted to be there—forever.

Even before then however, I was lucky to have cousins that so easily adopted me into a little group of friends that not only had decided to go to Paul’s cabin that weekend, but had been such good friends and good examples to me in the months that preceded that trip. And I suppose many months before then God had chosen to let me stay at BYU, after he had taken me by the hand and led me here himself. He gave me the best roommates, and let me be easily nurtured in a little nursery to heal. Later, he sent me to the mountains, so that I may find love for him on my own.

I am indebted to him forever for this. I did so little to receive His invite to come here initially. My first semester of college was incredibly difficult. Upon my return from Christmas break he heard me cry for help, and offered me His hand. Choosing to take it was the easiest choice I’ve ever made—I hardly knew it had happened. I had tried too hard to choose my own course for too long, and had failed so miserably. Saying Yes for me was choosing to deny logic.

BYU chose me. And I am grateful.

When I was younger, much younger, I didn’t want to hike mountains. I only wanted immediate gratification for what I worked hard for. As I’ve grown older, I’ve come to realize that it isn’t only the end result that makes the hike so beautiful, but the journey itself as you become the explorer, and appreciating everything that the journey has to offer. So I suppose one does not find and end to spiritual well being. It is found in many journeys, in constant movement forward.

3 comments:

kiales said...

I liked how your theme of a Journey is displayed in your form... starting with a question, then telling about your experiences, then to what you realize now, finishing up with warm and fuzzy feelings.

I also liked the statement that BYU chose you. I think many of us feel like that, it's such an amazing place!

A small thing, just a pet peeve of mine, is capitalizing He and Him when talking about the Lord... just a few spots in the second paragraph.

kaitlyn.e said...

The message of your writing is important: we can find spiritual well-being in many places, and we shlould remember that. I think your point that God led you somwhere so that you could find love for him on your own is also important and insightful. Many people can help us lov eour Heavenly Father, but ultimately we have to learn to do it ourselves. Your end is poignant as well: "it is in in constant movement forward." Consider focusing on that idea more fully. Great job.

Cynthia Hallen said...

I love the firmness of your tone and the fluency of your voice. You have a confidence or authority to speak from the depths of your experience. That speaks to me.