Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Home Sweet Home (Revised)


Walking up the chipped cement steps, I see the friendly welcome sign on the front door inviting me in. As soon as the door cracks open, the aroma of the buttery homemade rolls seeps into every fiber of my body. My mouth immediately starts to salivate as I make my way towards the soft milling of voices in the distance. As I turn the corner, the heat from the oven hits me like a brick wall. Steam steadily slithers upwards from the simmering concoction on the stove.

On the other side of the scented kitchen, my dad and brothers are busily cutting up ripe, juicy, and colorful fruit. Suddenly, there is a loud crack as my dad forces the two dripping halves of the perfect watermelon apart. Jokingly, my brothers tease each other and laugh enthusiastically as they work side by side.

Mom brilliantly oversees the preparations like a captain aboard his ship; giving loving and experienced orders to all in the kitchen. In the distance, I can hear the faint music from the Disney movie, Aladdin playing in the next room. My youngest brother’s small, whiney voice singing along in youthful exuberance.

Taking in all of the beauty around me, I notice that the colors of the vibrant carrots, the deep broccoli, and the clean cauliflower perfectly off set the bright fruit creating a rainbow of colors. Turning my head, the gleaming sun cast rays of light onto the elegantly set dining table. Cloth napkins are intricately folded and small beads of water cascade down the foggy ice water glasses.
My aching stomach growls impatiently as I yearn to taste the beauties of this kitchen. With his deep loving voice, my dad welcomes all to sit at the table and enjoy the masterpieces that the many helping hands had created. With love, laughter, and delicious food, this truly is Home Sweet Home.

4 comments:

Jake and Ashley Schroeder said...

This is the revised version

Rachael said...

Mmmmm I was just waiting for chocolate chip cookies somewhere...I was drawn to the many good sights, tastes and smells you described that made me feel at home reading this. You may also include other sensory descriptions like what you felt inside and out...you made me appreciate and reflect on my home which was great.

kaitlyn.e said...

Great job. I like the imagery ofyour dad inviting all to come and partake of the feast at the table together. Really great!

Cynthia Hallen said...

Full credit earned for the revised version.