Wednesday, September 10, 2008

In my own little corner... (Revised)

As I stepped off the staircase onto the fourth floor of the Harold B. Lee Library, I stepped into my comfort zone. I took a right, walked over to the Asian Collection, and took a seat at an empty table. The area was fairly deserted, which I anticipated and appreciated. The large, fake plant to my right had been rotated slightly, and I checked (as I always do) to make sure the green leaves were not real.

I took a glance around and noticed the many conveniences located so near to my designated study spot. To my left there was a copy machine, a trash can, and a restroom. A look towards the right brought my attention to another trash can, tables of varying shapes and sizes, and windows located through the open offices. Just ahead of me was a clock, and not too far from that was a staircase. The LRC was just beyond the staircase, had I any need of a computer. As far as amenities go, I could not think of anything else to desire.

With the thought of studying as a motive for looking for a distraction, I took note of the various paintings in the general vicinity. They were located close enough to see but not too near to be a significant distraction. The noise around me was nothing more than an occasional whisper; the majority of the sound came from the whirring copy machine and the rustling of papers.

A wave of student passing by reminded me of the physics book resting on my lap. The office doors lining the wall reminded me that much more goes on in the library than my physics homework. The bookshelves of foreign encyclopedias reminded me of how much knowledge is contained in that building, my Hogwarts Castle. This visit was reminiscent of my first expedition to this library - I still haven’t lost that sense of wonder and awe for the never-ending staircases, passageways, and new discoveries around every corner.

5 comments:

Ashley Fraser said...

I think you had great descriptions! I especially liked the part about the fake plant because it made your library experience seem real. Were you going for a "difference between falsehood and reality" theme? I also could identify with the "sounds" part because I feel like the whole library is a mess of shuffling papers and whispers every time I go! It makes it seem full of secrets. Can I make a suggestion? Maybe expand on your feelings and especially on your "Hogwarts Castle" line at the end. That really intrigued me! I also think that might bring some more insight into your mood when you are at the Library. Good Luck with that Physics class! =)

kaitlyn.e said...

I love your first line. That imagery really draws me into your experience and observations. I also love your description of the plant--I felt like I could relate to you as a real person.

I like your comparison to Hogwarts, but I feel like it needed more thought throughout the observation. As it is, it felt too abrupt and left me wishing I knew more about what you meant.

Good job bringing new life to a place we can all relate to.

Cynthia Hallen said...

I love the humorous Hogwarts allusion at the end. The tone is straightforward. The prose is clear. Why did you chose this setting for the Composed Observation? What do you hope that us readers will gain from it? You have successful completed the exercise, but what is the real destiny of this piece? Show us the rabbit in the hat.

Anonymous said...

Good description! I felt like I was walking watching things around with your eyes. I perceived that touching the fake leaves ("as you always do") was like a rite performed every time you arrived to your own little corner, which I liked it very much since I like when people follow a kind of "rite" that is unique to them impregnating with a personal touch to things that are not necessarily theirs.

I also agree with Ashley, that we want to learn a bit more about the Hogwarts Castle and your personal interpretation of it.

Cynthia Hallen said...

I like the focus. I still would like more specific details. What paintings did you see, etc.?