Monday, September 22, 2008

The worth of souls (Revised)

Tyler called me from Reno at 4:44 AM this morning. The next two hours were devoted to him and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Poor Tyler, his depression has been the cause of so many personal trials. He has had a lot of council, but only he can climb out of the depression hole. Tyler thinks that he is a failure at everything he does. He feels that he isn’t worth anything. We spoke about prayer and the need to pray when we don’t feel like we can or even want to. Our conversation had a constant theme and recurring message. The eternal truth that guided our discussion is this: The worth of souls is great and we have a Heavenly Father who loves us.
I feel so grateful for the Savior and the Atonement that allows people like Tyler and I to know that someone has suffered for us, for Tyler, and even me. He knows exactly what Tyler is going through. I try to identify with Tyler, but only He truly can. I love God and His Son. What’s more is that I know they love me, and like unto the prodigal son, they absolutely and unquestionably love Tyler. God indeed gave his only begotten Son, so that we His children can embrace our Lord, and by our faith return to their presence. The worth of souls is great. The condescension of God, testifies to me that Christ would have died for Tyler alone, or me, or you…even if we were the only soul on earth. He loves us so much, in our errors and triumphs; He loves us.
As I sit here in this, God’s mountain temple, I see his hand and His love all around me. The trees, autumn leaves, and waterfall all testify of a loving father. I’m so sad when I see litter on the forest ground. It doesn’t belong there; it is out of place and element. Sin is such an eyesore in the panoramic of our lives. Tyler’s depression is often triggered by his succumbing to temptation. Our lives also are more prone to feelings of sadness or even depression, as we loose the spirit due to our sins. We must expel sin and be free of its damning influences. We do this through Christ and covenants. The forgiveness of God comes as we through his Son, repent and walk as He walked. The Atonement shows how much God and His Christ love us. All things denote there is a God, and that God loves us. He wants nothing more then for us to be happy. Even, you, me, and Tyler. Tyler is going to be just all right.

3 comments:

Travis Miller said...

I loved some of your analogies like the litter on the mountain and in our lives. Depression is a difficult situation for everyone involved. Great insights

kaitlyn.e said...

I like the different elements you discuss in conjunction with your testimony: depression, sin, temptation, nature, forgiveness, joy, love, the atonement. Different elements that you weave together nicely. Good job.

Cynthia Hallen said...

You have a great heart for compassion and a great mind for wisdom. Will this become a McKay essay? Is depression also a challenge for you? A thoughtful piece.