Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Journey of a Lifetime

I stood there, paralyzed with anticipation; my heart pounded as if it was going to explode from within me. The emcee was teasingly taking what felt like hours to announce the winners. “The first runner-up is……Stephanie Gaufin,” he proclaimed. Standing in awe, I realized that I had a chance to be Utah’s Jr. Miss, but I suspected that another contestant may have had more points than me. After the longest thirty seconds of my life, the audience went silent, and I could hear the hammering of my own heart. Very authoritatively, he announced, “And now, our 2005 Utah’s Jr. Miss is……. # 26, Ashley Boulter!” For a brief second, I didn’t hear what he said, and then I was being swarmed by my fellow contestants. The audience, jumped to their feet, and applauded my victory. Not only was that night a wonderful memory which I will never forget, it was the beginning to the most amazing journey of my life.

* * * * *

The intense heat and humidity hit me like a brick wall. Growing up in the parched deserts of Utah, I was shocked when I stepped outside into what felt like a moist sauna. Feeling very insecure, I hesitantly staggered into a room with forty-nine of the most amazing, talented, beautiful, smart, and fit girls that I have ever met. “Hi, I’m Elena Bird, Alaska.” “Howdy, my name is Megan Murray, Wyoming.” I continued to be herded through the crowds of girls, bombarded by bright colors and brilliant smiles gleaming at me from every direction; I was overwhelmed by all that was happening to me.

“Hello girls, and welcome to Mobile, Alabama; the home of America’s Jr. Miss.” That’s when it hit me. I was actually competing in a national pageant; the heels, make-up, hair, and cameras. After an intimidating opening ceremony, which passed through my head like a surreal dream, I was introduced to the family whom I would live with for the following two weeks, the length of the competition. I was going to share some of the most amazing experiences of my life with Miss Suzanne, her husband, and little Olivia Ashurst.

* * * * *

Finally, Miss Suzanne gently woke me up on the final day of the competition. The day seemed to drag on, until all fifty contestants were even too anxious to eat. “Girls, ten minutes until we start,” the producer yelled from the dressing room. Suddenly, girls were screaming and experiencing shortness of breath. Overwhelming excitement was emitted from the frantic contestants. With final hair and make-up touch-ups complete, I ran down the steps to the stage. Tonight is going to be a night I will never forget.

“Alright ladies and gentleman, it is time to announce the top fifteen contestants. Keep in mind that they will be read in no particular order…… Oregon’s Jr. Miss, Kara Girod. North Carolina’s Jr. Miss, Hope Lu.” He continued to read names, until my heart felt like it was going to burst from my chest. Then he said it: “Utah’s Jr. Miss, Ashley Boulter.” I couldn’t believe it; I was in shock. Standing at the front of the stage, I didn’t hear any of the other names which were called, as I tried to soak in the feelings of exhilaration and excitement which I was experiencing.

After the fifteen remaining contestants competed in the Fitness competition, the announcer named the top ten finalists. He started calling out their names, one by one, and I continued to wait in horrible anticipation. I waited and waited. Nothing. My dreams were shattered. I didn’t even make the top ten. Intense disappointment and degradation tore through my whole body. I had worked so hard for all of my life preparing for a competition like this, and I was walking away with nothing.

I lumbered out of the theater after the final night of the performance. I felt like I had wasted two full weeks of my life coming to Mobile, Alabama. Just then, my spirits were lifted up by the voices of my wonderful host family. With tears in their eyes, they consoled and comforted me. Then, I heard little Olivia say something to her cousin that would change my outlook forever. She declared, “Do you want to go and meet the girl my parents and the Lord want me to be like?” She then brought her cousin to meet me. I was humbled and touched when I heard that Olivia, a ten-year-old whom I had grown to love, wanted to emulate ME!

Walking away from America’s Jr. Miss Pageant, I didn’t have any additional scholarship money. I didn’t win any awards, or receive any worldly acclaim. However, I had something that was far more valuable to me than any worldly reward; I had made a difference in the lives of one family. Finally, I realized why I was chosen to make the journey to Mobile, Alabama.

2 comments:

Cynthia Hallen said...

Thank you for giving me a window into an unique experience which has not been a part of my life path! I like the way that your narrative logically proceeds to a specific purpose. Didn't you later go on to become the runner-up for Miss Utah in the Miss America pageant? But that is not necessarily important to this Memory Monologue. Keep the focus on this event. Tell us about the details that some of us will never experience: your gown, your talent, the question they asked, etc. Let us be Miss Utah Junior Miss for a few minutes longer.

kaitlyn.e said...

Wow! What a great experience. I love the details of the emotion of the event (you do a great job of portraying the excitement and anticipation and disappointment), but I wanted to learn more about your relationship with the little girl.