Tuesday, September 23, 2008

For a moment (Revised)

Nothing makes you reflect like an 800 lb. elk walking into your lane of traffic. Traveling 60 mph, you cover a distance of 60 yards in 2.045 seconds. 2.054 seconds is a lot longer time interval than you think. Most sentences take less time than that. You could even have a conversation in that amount of time. Especially if you’re talking to yourself. In your brain.

I don’t think I’ve ever had my life flash before my eyes. Not before, and not this time, either. Flying down the highway with such a large animal so near, I never considered I would die. I never thought to myself, I only wish I had spoken to X or seen Y or done Z. In that short amount of time when I started braking, realized that we couldn’t stop, and hit the accelerator again to pass by the elk, I had only lucid, practical thoughts that amounted to two things: ‘there’s an elk in the road don’t hit it’ and ‘protect Cortney.’ No one wants a busted up car, especially when it’s caused by a living, breathing, and—after it’s been hit—bleeding thing, but someone was watching out for Cortney.

The morning before this drive back up the canyon to Aspen Grove, Cortney, some other friends and I had the wonderful opportunity to explore Stewart Falls hike. Walking a trail among beautiful fall colors and enjoying the spray of a waterfall, it’s hard to imagine that anyone would reject the idea of a higher power, a designer with such great creativity and love to give us the inspiring surrounding world. But even on a dark and lonely road, there is God. For all the tragedy in the world, blessings of safety like my experience on the highway still inspire and strengthen. In our time of need, Cortney and I were supported, and we will remember that we are loved.

4 comments:

Travis Miller said...

Parker, I liked how you kept a sense of humor about a dangerous situation. Way to articulate the thoughts that fly through your head when faced with a trial. I really enjoyed your post

kaitlyn.e said...

I agree with Travis--your humor in the face of this danger is admirable. I'm glad you say that you didn't wish you had "spoken to X or seen Y or done Z" (I really like your wording there). It seems silly to think of those things compared to the practical thoughts you had in the moment. Great desciptions.

Cynthia Hallen said...

The opening sentence is a magnificent attention getter. Had to find out what happened next. Are you one of those who (like Dickinson) are gifted at coming up with great first lines? Set up more context. Why you were traveling up the canyon late at night. Your group awaiting you, etc.?

Dan said...

I like the way your thoughts about almost hitting the elk are written beacause they feel very much like genuine thoughts as I read them. I understand about not having you life flash before your eyes, I was almost in an accident once and my life didn't falsh before my eyes either, I wonder if it really happens or if it's just something people say.
I do think it would be good to have a more clear transition between the second and third paragraphs of the piece. How does your appreciation of nature contribute to avoiding the accident? Does it?