Monday, September 22, 2008

How Small




I look up at the grandure and realize how small I am. The leaves connected to one branch, that branch to a tree and that tree to a forest. All connected as one. All bigger and more magnificent then I. Sitting at the base of the raging waters, I am but one small thing compared to the many that surround me. The mist rolls off the mountains as the heavens play their part in the scheme of life.




The feeling of being only a small part of this world hits suddenly. The majesty of the creation all around. The wonder that fills my mind. It is incomprehensible, at times I feel so on top of the world, yet out here I can really feel my part in the creation, instead of just ignoring it like i do so often. It takes my breath away. How I am loved so much to be given all this to look at and get inspiration from. An open sanctuary for all. For anyone and everyone to share.




The sun hits the mountains just right reflection the colors brilliantly. My eyes can't take it in all at once. I just want to see it all. All if it at one time. I want to be able to breath it all in, in one breath. The wind in the trees, the sound of God's creations, communication with each other. The detail and the love that went into every little thing.




I like to imagine sometimes the creation as almost a group thing. Each of us giving part of ourselves to this earth before we came. I can see myself laughing and applauding at the way the leaves dance on the wind, or how the brooks sing softly in a lazy afternoon. I can see my jaw drop as the color is painted onto the world in the different seasons. I see all this and realize just how lucky I really am. I also see how small I really am.




In a world full of grand buildings and cities. With structures of pure genius, nothing makes you feel as small, or as loved as the majesty of the earth.


I am but one small thing in this world.


I love it.






*I am including some of my favorite scenic pictures from the hike. More to come


2 comments:

C Tam said...

I appreciate the repetition of one key idea; the phrase "how small I am" is everpresent. It might be interesting to see how that realization of the nothingness of man translates into everyday life, when you leave the mountains and go back to "reality." Does the humility felt in this moment stay with you long-term? Why or why not?

kaitlyn.e said...

I really like the idea of having a part in creation.I like that being close to nature made you "feel your part in the creation," and then describing what you imagine your part was. Do you feel you have a part in it now?