Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Karaoke at the entrance of the WSC (Revised, Observation)

It’s 12:30 pm in this wonderful sunny day at Brigham Square and there are a lot of students going around, while I enjoy the live colors of the gardens around me. There are also others students spread all over that area, some are eating sandwiches, some are chatting laying on the grass under a tree, while a crowd of others go in different directions, some to the library, others to the WSC Building, some others to their classes, and the rest who knows where.

Suddenly, the music starts. Big speakers have been set up at the entrance of the Wilkinson Student Center, there are some guys conducting a karaoke activity inviting students to sing their favorite songs. The microphone is available now for those who aspire to be singers for a day.

Life is only a moment, with innumerable faces each one telling a no-spoken story that reflects who they are. Some are smiling faces, some are not. Their eyes pointing in several directions, like if they know where they are going; busy footsteps heading to uncountable directions; real shadows of real people. Tomorrow all of them will be gone, however it looks like we are all enjoying the moment without any care of the world. We all are here in our own BYU little world.

Hold this moment in your mind and also hold it to your heart.

The music starts to sound aloud while a guy singing at the microphone tries to impress with his natural talented voice the girls around. He has been quite successful since he got the cheering and applause of some girls. He smiles very satisfied and bows to his audience. He has had his small moment of glory. The next singer is not that successful since he cannot reach the high notes that his song demands. Anyways, he has not gotten frighten or scare, maybe, deep down in his heart he has not realized he does not know how to sing. But, this is Karaoke; he does not have to be a perfect singer. I try not to pay attention to the sound of his voice; my inner voice guides my mind and eyes to my surroundings, I try to put my mind in the rest of the world around me, but there are moments in which his vocal sounds hurt my ears that it is impossible to ignore him.
What a great relieve! He has now finished his song.

Suddenly another singer starts, his song is “My Way” and I hear some people getting excited as he is doing quite well his song. Well, he is not fantastic, but still sounds very well and I realize that the cheering he is getting is not because of his performance but because some people around him like the song. To me that song is quite depressing and I am amazed that some young people in here really like that song. Well, anyways, there are all kinds of listeners in the Lord’s kingdom, it is ok, I guess.

His song is over and I told myself, now it is my turn, I will go and grab that microphone and show this people what a great singer is. I stand up and walk my first steps, when this time a girl started to sing a song. I still can not see her face from the point where I am, but her voice is incredibly good, her song upbeat. It is like a fresh air to my ears, my faith in mankind is renewed. I can’t help myself but to listen to her, to enjoy her song, to enjoy her voice, to enjoy the moment that saved my soul from hopelessness about the human race. I tell to myself we certainly are not hidden from God’s eyes that He sent someone with real talent to this Mormon little world of Brigham Square. Not only I hear a talented voice, but she knows how to interpret a song, in other words it is not just a beautiful voice but it reflects feelings as well.

When she is done with her song, this time the guys were cheering and applauding, I am sure she will get a lot of dates. It is the magic of music, it is the magic of music and again it is the magic of music. She also had her moment of glory! Suddenly, I look at to my wristwatch, and I am late for my following class. I cannot sing my song at this time, my own moment of glory must be postponed, in the meantime my hidden talent will remained covered from the rest of the world.

3 comments:

Cynthia Hallen said...

You have a cheerful and intelligent point of view as you present this scenario. I like the good humor of your tone and the curiosity of your observations. The first section gives us background, but do you really need it? Could you begin more directly by choosing a different focus? The details are thoughtful. Which ones are essential? Which ones are still more of a stream of consciousness? Can you make more of a composition out of this spontaneous monologue? Carry on.

Mark said...

I enjoy the leisurely feel of the writing. When i read you post, i feel the way that i would if i had seen these things myself. You are not over the top in your writing, either. My favorite part was your "people watching" which had the most depth to it, i felt.

kaitlyn.e said...

Great descriptions. I like the way you connected this simple activity with the bigger scheme of things. The first paragraph was interesting, but I felt that your story really started with the second paragraph--that was when I felt involved in and connected to your narrative.