Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Ruin of the Bruin (revised)

Were you at the Byu game on Saturday the 13th of September 2008 when the cougars completely dominated the Ucla Bruins in every aspect of the game? I was. I was a part of history; I am a witness of the fifty-nine point shellacking that Brigham Young imposed on their power-less Pac-10 opponent. It is their worst defeat in seventy-nine years. I was there. The game was remarkable, I remember thinking to myself that I was indeed a part of history. Being their and breathing in the dry mountain air in that stadium on that warm Saturday afternoon was so empowering. I showed up just a hair late. The stadium roof above me shook as the crowd began to stomp their feet and expel their deepest of voices in a furious cheer as the ball was seconds from being kicked off. I quickly ran to the portal opening and saw just as I turned, I saw the ball sailing through the air. I made it. I sat down. Game time.
My brother showed up a few minuets later. He immediately said, “Do you want to hear something funny?” Of course I replied in the affirmative. I listened to his story as I watched a blue tide rip apart a white and gold foe. He told me that he was cutting his hair on Friday, and….FUMBLE!! Fumble recovered by Byu! Sorry, Orrin. To excited to listen. Ok, I’m back. We’ll he had switched from a 3 to a 1, and then he tried to correct a missed spot. Buzz. Well, that’s my scalp. He buzzed a fat chunk right off the top of his head. Before he could even finish his story I induced the outcome and ripped his hat off. Laughter. Lots of laughter!! My red head brother in an attempt to correct his self imposed baldness had shaved an N into the top of his head to represent his high school. Ha ha ha. Oh man. Ahh! FUMBLE AGAIN! Byu recovers again! My voice is gone and my stomach muscles are cramped from laughter.
Ucla is now threatening to score. It’s a field goal attempt by Kai Forbath. The same guy who had his game winning kick blocked last year vs. Byu. They lost that game too. As the ball was about to be snapped, I felt something special. I got the chills from head to foot. I knew that we were going to block that kick. The crowd knowing the same erupts into a passionate chant….”block that kick, block that kick.” The snap. The set. The kick….its blocked! The defense held! The crowds cheer is overwhelming. Deafening. I knew we were going to block that kick and we did. This blocked kick, coupled with the Ucla fumbles left my body sapped of strength. So much cheering. The crowd surged with energy, but it all came from its willing members. As half time came and the teams left the field, I jumped up onto the bleacher seat and joined in the cheer…BYU…BYU…BYU…. I was so happy, and so exhausted. After one more half I was ready to go. Even though we all left depleted of our energy, and strength, we left with something we didn’t have when we entered LaVell Edwards stadium. A piece of history. An unforgettable memory. A glimpse of perfection. I am part of history, and the Quest. Are you?

2 comments:

Cynthia Hallen said...

I can feel the energy and enthusiasm of the collected fans. I can feel the crisp autumn weather. I like the details. Is this an observation or a memory composition? Events in the near past make not yet have the weight of a meaningful memory. Why perpetuate the language of violence in your description? Try replacing words like "slaughter" with words that evoke intense but positive energy.

kaitlyn.e said...

The action and energy in this piece is great. The narrative is disjointed at times, but because of the nature of the story and the immediacy of the action, it works. It's interesting that you already consider it a part of history. Maybe we should view our actions in the scope of its influence on the future more often? It's an interesting thought.