Wednesday, September 17, 2008

First Time Runner (memory revised)

I was going to be a runner. I wanted it bad. I stretched, long and steady in my living room that still smelled like boxes and carpet cleaner. I felt the muscles soften and pull like hard taffy. There was a pit in my stomach as I switched from the left side to the right. I looked over and saw my brand new husband beside me. He was gracefully running through the same series of stretches I had seen him do countless times. He had been a cross-country and track runner all through high school and his body seemed to do the movements without one hitch of interruption. I hoped that my nerves would help me run better, or at least keep up with him. What I didn't want was another failed attempt.

Bowen was ready to go, looking confident and relaxed. I thought I could still save face by claiming I had to do some more cleaning or neglected homework. I didn't know if I was ready to kill my body for the next half-hour. He grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the door.

We left. Down the stairs. Clomp... Clomp... Clomp. My breathing quickened as the moon shone on the uphill climb in front of me. One deep breath. I pushed off.
Plop, Plop, Plop when my feet. Swish, Swish, Swish went Bowen's steps on the cement next to me. I quickened my pace to stay with him. I felt like a bouncing sack of potatoes beside a well oiled machine. I thought I was doing okay. Nevermind.... It was just adrenaline. It started to hurt. I kept going. Plop, Plop. Plop.

We'd only been going for three minutes when I started "clomping." I tried to listen to the crickets and cars and get distracted from the aches in my legs. I'd known that I'd had to start somewhere, but this was rough! Clomp Clomp Clomp. "Count the steps...2...4...6...8...not working. Sing a song in my head and run to the beat? That worked. 'Mind over matter, mind over matter.' We're were at ten minutes!" I was half way there and exhausted. I wondered how the people I saw running all over Provo at every waking hour made this look so effortless. I was sweating hard.

Finally we hit a good down hill! We also hit sprinklers, a double bonus! Any distraction was good. My calves were lengthening and I could feel every every part of my soft foot-pads caressing the soles of my shoes and them in turn smacking the pavement. I felt bad for them, but glad that I could stop gasping for air. I only had to make it to the stop light. I could see it. We were at seventeen minutes. My neck throbbed as we hit the last straight away. Patter Patter... I had to shorten my stride again. My legs resisted. My lungs needed more! I went back to gasping. I couldn't believe Bowen was so steady beside me. He had asked me how I was doing more than once on our excursion. I lied because I had to make it without stopping and I knew he'd be easy on me. I managed a few more grunts as he tried to start a conversation. Almost there! Wheeze Wheeze. My legs were about to give. Clomp Clomp. Just a few more strides. PUSH!

I made it! I was so grateful to be done. I was already dreading the next day when we would go again. Cooling down. Breathing hard. So proud. I could do this.

2 comments:

Cynthia Hallen said...

This is great! You captured the experience with humor and dialogue and detail and gusto. I love the line about the sack of potatoes next to a well-oiled machine. I laughed out loud. At first I thought that you husband and Bowen were not the same being. I thought Bowen was a family pet perhaps. Might wanna introduce your husband by name? Keep up the good work.

kaitlyn.e said...

I like your description of looking at your "brand new husband." Is he the reason why you "wanted it bad"? The steady stream of descriptors is great: clomp, swish, deep breath. They really add to the visual and aural picture for the reader. Great job.